Accounting Manager - Non-Performing Loans
Wedgewood is currently seeking an Accounting Manager to join our team! The Accounting Manager manages employees within the accounting department based on the functional area of responsibility and is responsible for the performance management of direct reports and hiring of direct reports’ positions within that department.
Our company specializes in the purchase, rehab, and resale of single family homes (acquiring and selling REOs, foreclosures, and other distressed properties). Founded in 1985, we have grown into a diversified, vertically integrated company, expanding our business footprint to include non-performing notes, property management, private lending, brokerage, escrow, and more.
- Perform reconciliations of general ledger accounts for complex areas, and review staff’s reconciliation ensuring the underlying support is appropriate, understanding the purpose of the account and nature of transactions and direct staff in investigating and resolving any reconciling items.
- Prepare journal entries for more high risk areas, and review staff journal entries to account for business activities, ensuring completeness, accuracy and compliance with general accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Perform analytical review of account balances and activity and providing explanations for fluctuations.
- Prepare audit supporting schedules for footnote disclosures.
- Perform technical accounting research and associated documentation.
- Assist in the preparation of draft financial statements.
- Understand and ensure processes are in compliance with internal controls and business processes, implement improvements as needed.
- Take initiative and leadership position in day to day assignments and on special projects.
- Communicate effectively internally and externally.
- Oversee, mentor and empower staff, providing guidance and assistance.
Required Competencies and/or experience:
- Strong knowledge of GAAP.
- CPA Designation with minimum 2 years of audit experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting plus seven years of accounting experience (public & private).
- Preferred to have mortgage loan/real estate industry experience.
- Managerial experience.
- Strong understanding of internal controls and business processes.
- Advanced excel skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong and effective communication.
- Understanding and experience in implementing best practices/improve efficiency within existing processes.
- Initiative - Self Starter - Ownership.
- Organized and Detail oriented.
- Strong Collaboration Skills.
- Stronger leadership.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Experienced with multi-entities that are complex and high volume driven.