Wedgewood is currently seeking a Staff Accountant to join our team! The Staff Accountant position is responsible for serving as a team leader in the finance department and ensuring the department creates accurate and timely financial records for the organization.
Our company specializes in the purchase, rehab, and resale of single family homes (acquiring and selling REOs, foreclosures, and other distressed properties). Founded in 1985, we have grown into a diversified, vertically integrated company, expanding our business footprint to include non-performing notes, property management, private lending, brokerage, escrow, and more.
- Records journal entries to account for business activities, ensuring completeness, accuracy and compliance with general accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Reconciles general ledger accounts, ensuring the accounts balance to underlying support and investigating and resolving any reconciling items.
- Performs analysis and researches variances.
- Process high volume cash transactions, loan level activities and closing statements.
- Assist and participate in optimizing existing process to increase efficiency.
- Participate in special projects as directed.
Required competencies and/or experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- 3+ years of accounting experience.
- Solid understanding of GAAP.
- Intermediate to advanced excel skills.
- Experienced in performing reconciliations.
- Self-Starter – Ownership while working well with direction.
- Organized, detail oriented and thorough.
- Experienced with multi-entities that are complex and high volume driven.
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Collaboration skills.
- Team player within department as well as across the org.
- Multi-task while maintaining an upbeat and professional demeanor.
- Ethical conduct.
- Large amount of data analysis.
- Mortgage/real estate industry experience helpful.
- Loan servicing knowledge – a plus.